Paintings and Prints available

2/11/08

Behind the Barn, 16x20, oil

After studying the paintings of Russian Realist I have come to appreciate the colors of winter. The variety of greys are an opportunity to indulge in the temperature of colors.
As Twatchman I have come to know snow is full of color and pattern or an opportunity for design elements.
Richard Schmid forces me to draw and keep my pallet clean. Very important when trying to express the close hues of a white tree against the white snow of a mountain or the tracks of deer making paths behind the barn.
Top to bottom, front to back, thin to thick, are becoming second nature when executing the painting. I still have to stop and remind myself what range of values I had in mind but by mixing my paint before I start I achieve both a range of value and establish the overall temperature of the painting which achieves harmony.
Spontenaity is achieved by deliberation.

1 comment:

Austin Maloney said...

I really like your blog.
this is a wonderful painting your right about the gray's I was curious if you'd be interested in exchanging links. My blog is austinmaloney.com and my email is amaloneyart@gmail.com

Best wishes,

Austin Maloney