Paintings and Prints available

4/05/09

Santuario Rancho de Taos, 11x14, oil, pleinair

From Sante Fe to Taos a backroad winds through the mountains. There are lots of paintings I missed but we managed to find time to stop at this extraordinary adobe church built because of the vision of a farmer and is a sacred healing place that many come to pray and take some of the dirt of the place away with them. I saw folks on crutches and wheel chairs, young and old.
We stayed in Taos which was NOT Sante Fe. I found the Church of St. Francis Assisi in Rancho De Taos, made famous by so many artists, including Georgia O'Keefe.
Real Adobe is so human. It is workman toiling, it is native material, it is a grand vision with deep roots. Betts prayed, I painted. Both our efforts payed off.

3 comments:

Jared Shear said...

Nice work Gregg!.....Taos looks like a lot of fun. A chance to switch up the color palette a bit from the blues and greens to those deep reds and oranges. Plus it's warm. We got more fresh snow yesterday......on the 27th of April.

Anonymous said...

HI Gregg, It was nice seeing your art in real life at the Fresh Air Artists Festival in Cle Elum. I see now why you looked like you just walked in from another planet when you came to the gallery. You had been to this grand heavenly place I plan to visit next and paint there too.
I share your belief in originals only at decent prices. Stamp out prints!!!

You were right about the goats, I won't take mine there. Karen

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Beautiful work. It's an irresistible subject; so strong and plain.

I remember this place from a couple of visits in my life... one when I was small. It's funny, though, .... my memories of the site are all mixed up with paintings and photos I've seen of this church structure. I guess my real memory has people in it. Come to think of it, the paintings that come to mind don't have any people there.