Paintings and Prints available

6/02/06

Paint what you know



To get a handle on the situation I do a drawing or a watercolor. Sometimes I would catch a glimps of an image such as a sea lion on a rock and take a mental picture of it then when the opportunity allowed I would draw a simple sketch of the memory. I find that I have developed the ability to take a 'mental picture' of the scene and fill it with as much information as I am capable. The drawing that comes from such an exercise is distilled down to the essentials. I have also learned to not make so much work out of things. I catch myself worrying a painting or drawing to death. I need to trust my first impressions and also expressing that impression.
The Warf at Trinidad is owned by Native Americans. At the end of the warf on the shore is a great place to eat breakfast. I had an oyster omelet that was excellent. It is a great harbor and many fisherman are moored to buoys. We had 3 incredible days of sunshine.
During our trip we saw sea lions, harbor seals, oyster catcher, fox, antelope, herds of elk and birds we had never seen or heard before.

No comments: